Friday, June 22, 2012

Movie Time: The Caller

 

Stars: Rachelle Lefevre, Stephen Moyer & Luis Guzman


This movie caught my eye when I was flipping through my Netflix. Feeling the need for something new, I decided to give it a go.

The film is about a young woman (mid to late thirties) named Mary, who has moved into a new apartment after deciding to divorce her abusive husband. As she begins to settle into her new place, she starts receiving strange phone calls from a mysterious woman, asking for a man that isn't there. After a brief conversation with this stranger, Mary comes to realize that she is speaking to a woman named Rose, and she is calling from the year 1979, 30 years before the present. Scared and confused, Mary tries to break contact, but unfortunately Rose doesn't like being ignored. She begins to interfere in Mary's life in the only way that she can, in the past.

Okay, so I know what you're thinking.
And the reason why I know is because I was thinking the same thing.
Sounds a little iffy.
What damage could this woman possibly do to someone's life if they are thirty years in the past?
As it turns out, ALOT.
And if you're a time travel nerd like myself, you've probably already thought:
"But, if Rose alters the past, that means that it alters the future, meaning that Mary will probably never start speaking to her in the first place, avoiding the whole situation."
Sorry my friend, the writer(s) thought of that.
Apparently, Mary still remembers everything as it was (before Rose went on her 30 year old rampage) because she was "involved" in the change of time. Because Rose and Mary were in contact through the space time continuum (not a phrase from this movie, just a time travel phrase in general), she can remember people, places and things before Rose changed them in 1979.
For example,
There is a scene when Rose is trying to prove to Mary that she is from the past, and to do so, she tells Mary that she will draw something in her pantry. The camera pans over to the bare pantry walls, showing that nothing is there. Mary, frustrated, goes to bed. When she gets up the next morning, there is a 30 year old drawing of a flower on the door, just like Rose said there would be.
SO
if this was following the normal time travel "rules", when Mary saw the flower, it should've been nothing new to her, because since Rose drew it in 1979, it should have been there when Mary moved into the apartment. But since Mary was "involved", she remembered the pantry door before it had the drawn flower.
MEANING
that whatever alterations Rose decides to make in 1979, Mary will notice the differences in the present; like people missing, or changes to the apartment in general.
So yeah... kind of terrifying.

Netflix had this movie listed in the "Horror" genre, but I definitely feel that it's more of a Thriller. I really enjoyed the fact that there wasn't a lot of gore and limited amounts of tasteful nudity.
I always hate it when good scary movies are bogged down with guts, blood and tits everywhere.

Overall, I really enjoyed this movie. I feel that it's an idea that hasn't really been done before (and if it has I am unaware), which is really rare these days, especially in the horror/thriller genre.
And the ending was fucking boss; it pulled everything together very nicely.


Complaints...
Not crazy about the name, I feel that they could've come up with something better...
The movie is VERY dark, I had to change the picture settings on my TV just to be able to see everything. 
And it's a little slow at the beginning, but as the movie goes on, it gets better and better, and like I said, the end is just perfect.

Hope you found this helpful! I tried not to spoil anything (important).

OVERALL


Thanks loves;)
See you next week!


p.s. if you watch decide to watch this movie, leave a comment and let me know what you think :)


No comments:

Post a Comment