Tuesday, March 12, 2013

HP Challenge: Day 15

Q: Were there any parts of the books that you thought should have made the movie?

A: "I don't think you're a waste of space."

 

**CONTAINS SPOILERS**
The relationship between Harry and Dudley was always important to me.
I don't know if it's because they grew up together or the fact that he was Harry's first bully, but I was always wondering how they would end up.

Throughout the whole series I had a bit of a love / hate thing going on with the Dudley's character.
He was a COMPLETE ass, but the thing is, he was RAISED that way.
I know, I know, that doesn't make him less of a bully, but just imagine what it was like being Dudley.
You've got two parents that spoil the shit out of you, so much so that it fucks with your development and you grow into a asshole child with a crazy sense of entitlement. Now add the fact that you weigh the same amount of a baby whale (which in this case was another benefit of his crap upbringing) and you have a cousin who is a fucking WIZARD. 
I'd be SO unbelievably jealous.

And yeah, he treated Harry like shit for most of the his adolescent life, but again, WHO taught him to do that? His parents.
His parents were absolutely HORRIBLE to Harry, how on earth could you expect Dudley to treat him any better?

I think that's why this moment in the series was so important to me. The whole time I was like "this kid is better than this, he's better than this"; I would have been really disappointed if he hadn't been.

You know how when you're a kid and you kind of just agree with everything your parents do?
And do you remember the age when you actually started questioning some of those things?
I'm not talking about the rebellious teen thing where EVERYTHING your parents say is wrong. I'm talking about when you grow up and you realize that there are some things your parents believe that you just can't.

Well, I feel that that is what happened with Dudley.
He grew up and realized that Harry never did anything to deserve the way he had been treated growing up, and that he had to fix it.

Anyway, yeah, that's what I missed most in the movies.

What did you miss?

No comments:

Post a Comment