Monday, March 17, 2014

Day 6: Adult Headbands (Drunken Edition)

Sorry I didn't post yesterday, I was playing the Boondock Saints Drinking Game ;)
(Told you it was an unstoppable tradition!)
Tonight, I'm going to try to explain the rules I've established to add a new twist to an old game.


Adult Headbands (Drunk Edition)


My friends and I LOVE playing games.
Charades, Cards Against Humanity, Drunk Jenga, I could go on. But one day after discovering "Head's Up" (a game that Ellen Degeneres plays on her show all the time, and it's an app now too!) I knew I had to come up with a boozy variation.

We started with a sober (well, not sober, but drinking wasn't part of the actual game) version, and it was very VERY bare bones. Basically we all wrote something down on a note card (no theme, no category, just random people and things) passed them to another player and just went for it. We each took turns holding up our cards (with no idea what they said) and asked yes or no questions to try to figure out what was written. 

After a 10 minute round with just one guesser, we realized that the game needed a little more structure. So we introduced categories. We would do things like "known sex addicts" and "famous people you would never want to see naked." We decided to keep the yes or no question rule (gotta keep some of the challenge alive), but we would also give subtle hints to the guesser (like if they had Richard Nixon, someone could say something along the lines of "good thing you aren't a crook" and stuff like that) if they were stuck.
It's really fun :)

Okay, now that you've got the basic idea, here's how to make it boozy:

What you will need:
note cards
a stopwatch
hard liquor

Split into either partners or teams:


I feel that teams work better simply because it increases the chances of someone knowing who or what is written on your forehead. (If you were playing in pairs and your partner wasn't familiar with what they other team had written down for you, you'd be totally fucked.)
Once you've established teams (or pairs), pass around a notepad and jot down categories (you'll need 5 categories per group, this will ensure you won't run out of topics before the end of the game). Try to pick topics that everyone is familiar with, it's no fun when the guesser has no idea who or what they're supposed to be.
Once you have your categories, start with round one.
First, have everyone write a note card that's related to the first category (Team A writes cards for Team B and so on).
Now exchange your team's cards with the others, keeping each of them face down.

Start with Team A.
Each team member will take their turn by lifting their card to their forehead and guessing what is written on their card.
 
Example: The guesser has Justin Beiber. Am I a male? Yes. Am I an actor? Not really. Am I a singer? Yes. Am I in a band? No. Am I popular right now? Yes. Do a lot of people hate me? Yeah. Am I Justin Beiber? YEP.

Team B will keep time while Team A answers their teammate's questions.
Once all of Team A has gone and figured out what is written on their cards, record their time and let Team B take their turn (and so on).

The point of each round is for all your teammates to guess their cards as quickly as possible. The team that takes the longest loses that round and has to take a shot.
The first team that has to take 5 shots loses :)

Obviously there has to be subtly to the hints. You can't do "rhymes with..." or anything that will make it totally obvious, it ruins the fun! Since there isn't a ref (I guess there could be if you had an odd number of people and a particularly competitive bunch), it's really up to the opposing players to decide what's too obvious. But at the same time you can't call foul on every clue. Just find a balance, they're your friends for god's sake.

The only problem we've noticed is that it is common to have repeats of the same people/things.
 
Example: Last time we had "known sex addicts" as a category and we had 2 Charlie Sheen's AND 2 Tiger Woods's.
 
It's not really that much of a problem, but you should still do your best to come up with original ideas.
If you find that you'd rather not have repeats, you can always write the note cards one team at a time. (Team B writes the cards for Team A, Team A takes their turn and then writes the note cards for Team B and so on.)
Just make sure if you decide to do it this way to alternate which team goes first in the next round. This will save Team A from always having to come up with ideas that haven't already been picked.
^^I hope that makes sense, I had a hell of a time wording that...

But yeah, that's what I've come up with :) I haven't played it this way with my friends yet but I'm really hoping we get a chance to soon. If you guys play before I do let me know how it goes :)

See you laterrrr ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment