Saturday, April 12, 2014

Baking Frenzy!

so this week has been crazy...
As I've mentioned on here about a billion times, I love love LOVE to bake and make desserts.
But I was not prepared for the insanity that awaited me this week.


I had not one, not two, not even three, but FOUR baking "projects" to do this week, and they all needed to be done by Thursday and Friday. I did my best to do a little bit every day, but of course most of it was left to the last minute (cause if I were a superhero I would be.... THE PROCRASTINATOR!!! ;)

The top left are Eeyore cupcakes for my friend and co-worker Charlotte :)
They were really similar to a lot of other cupcakes I've done in the past: chocolate cake, vanilla frosting and white chocolate decorations. They're meant to be little Eeyore tails, and to my joy Charlotte recognized them right away and squeaked with excitement ;) awesome.

The top right are Knock You Naked Brownies that I made for my friend Frank's birthday.
HOLY FUCKBALLS YOU GUYS.
I found this recipes ages ago when I first discovered Pinterest. It's from The Pioneer Woman blog and it's SPECTACULAR. I didn't follow it exactly (the original recipe calls for pecans in the dough and dusting the final brownies with powdered sugar, but I was like nahhh) but they were SO GOOD. I made them literally just a few hours before the party and was a little worried since I didn't get to taste test them beforehand, but when I bit into my piece I knew that this was going to be a new staple recipe for EVERYTHING.
Birthdays, parties, potlucks, tuesdays, the possibilities are endless!
They're crispy and gooey all at once and just mmmmmmmmmmmmm.

The bottom left is a two layer cake.
It's got Kit Kat's all around the side with M&Ms on top. These things are crazy trendy right now, they're all over Pinterest and they even sell them at my local grocery store.
A couple of months ago my boss sent me a picture of one of these and I had to accept the challenge ;)
Great news: it was SO easy; like crazy easy. The only problem I had was that some of the Kit Kat's I had were broken before I unwrapped them. But even that was an easy fix. I really REALLY wanted to make it a three layer cake with strawberry, vanilla and chocolate cake (NEAPOLITAN!) but the Kit Kat's weren't tall enough :/ next time I'll just bake smaller layers :) or get one of those cool cake saws so I can cut them properly.

The bottom right cupcakes were BY FAR the hardest cupcakes I've ever made.
What are they you ask?
White Zinfandel Cupcakes with Strawberry (& Zinfandel) Buttercream Frosting.
OH MY GOD. These made me want to pull my hair out, but I was making them for one of my coworker's birthdays (it's been a birthday week;) so I WAS NOT going to give up. I got the recipe from a blog I had never been on before, so I guess I should have been prepared for the worst. The batter turned out gray (don't ask me how) and the cake was a weird consistency once it was baked. The frosting tasted good but was crazy temperature sensitive. It couldn't hold its shape when I started decorating, and when I put in the fridge to chill it would get too hard and clog the tip. It took forever to find the sweet spot.
All in all I think they turned out okay, but I think if I decide to bake with wine again I'll try to find another recipe. Monica liked them, and that's all that really matters :)


Although I was crazy busy all week and my kitchen now looks like a battered war zone (battered! :D), I loved every second of it :)



Know any recipes I should try? Let me know ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment