Monday, April 28, 2014

Skinnies To Shorts


Summer is on its way, and we all know what that means...
SHORTS :)
This is a pretty big deal for me because I HATE wearing pants.
Seriously, if it was socially acceptable to wear long tee shirts and boy brief undies out in public, that's what life would be like for this lady (errrrrday).

I usually have a couple of staple pairs to get me through the summer, but this year I'm determined to add to my collection. And what a better way than making shorts out of old pairs of pants that I never wear anymore?


Skinnies to Shorts


I've tried to do this before and it NEVER turns out well.
It's such a simple project: mark, cut, wear.
But whenever I've done this in the past something always goes wrong.
I'll cut the legs at jagged angles or way too short, or that thing when you cut one too short and then try to make the other one even and then cut that one too short and it's never ending.
But now I think I've found a full proof way to convert old pants into new shorts with very little effort.
It took me less than 5 minutes.


What you'll need:
-pants 
(anything but jeggings)
-scissors
-marker


Step 1:
Lay your pants out on the floor (table? whatever).
Fold them so one leg is on top of the other (I suppose that that's hotdog style?)

Step 2:
Decide how long you want your shorts to be.
If you're going for a bermuda style, you'll want to cut a few inches above the top of the knee.
If you're more into daisy dukes (bold, I salute you;) a few inches below the back pockets.
And of course, anywhere in between.
Since I tend to cut them too short, I aimed to make them a little longer and planned to roll them to the length I wanted.

 Step 3:
Once you decide on a length, 
fold the bottom of the pant legs upward to create a straight crease where you plan to cut.
Bring the pant legs back down and mark where the crease is.
You only have to mark one leg.

Step 4:
Cut along the crease on the top leg.
Whatever you do, DON'T try to cut both legs at once.
It won't work, it's like when you try to cut a stack of paper all at once. The top piece will be fine, but all the others will be crooked and messed up.
Just cut the first leg first, line it up with the second, and cut the second one along the cut of the first.
They'll be even this way.

Voila ;)
Super easy.

I've found that different types of pants work better for different styles (looser pants are easier to roll, tighter pants make better bermuda shorts, ect.) but the biggest thing is making sure you get the cut and length that you want and that the legs are even (unless you're going for a crooked look, in which case, go nuts! ;)
After that, you're free to get creative with it :)
Fray the ends, rub them with scissors and sand paper to make holes, you could even paint them!
 Just have fun and feel awesome because you MADE THAT SHIT.

See you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment